facebook

 

Ripatransone


Ripatransone
Ripatransone is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Ascoli Piceno in the Italian region Marche, located about 70 km southeast of Ancona and about 20 km northeast of Ascoli Piceno.
The hill of Ripatransone (whose name means "Rupes of Transone", a local feudatary who founded the castle here) was inhabited since prehistorical times, and was settled first by the Umbri and then the Piceni. After the Roman conquest it lost of importance, regaining it in the Middle Ages when several castles were built here, being unified into a single town in 1096. In 1205 it was a free commune, living a particular rivality with Fermo and against Francesco Sforza. In 1571 it was given the status of City and the diocesan see by pope Pius V. After the Renaissance it was part of the Papal States, becoming part of unified Italy in 1860.

Main sights

  • The Cathedral (Duomo), begun in 1597
  • The medieval walls
  • Monte Antico Gate
  • Palazzo del Podestà
  • Romanesque church of San Michele Arcangelo, with some 15-th-16th century paintings.
  • Communal Palace (13th century)
  • Palazzo Bonomi-Gera, housing the local museums

Album: Pictures of Ripatransone

1. Ripatransone's street view
2. Ripatransone's street view
3. Teatro Mercantini
4. Ripatransone
5. Ripatransone
6. Fire's horse
7. Country
8. Il cavallo di fuoco